Thursday, June 6, 2013

Mini-Frittatas!

Today's lunch (and possibly dinner) was mini-frittatas. Eggs, spinach, bell pepper, mushrooms, onion, and cheese. My only regret was that I didn't have any bacon on hand to add. I love eggs--because they're tasty, inexpensive, jam-packed with nutrition, and full of protein. But mostly because they're tasty.



So, I made these with my mom. My mom is on Weight Watchers (blech) and has been for about 5 years now, so these are an "adaptation" of one of their recipes--with real eggs and real cheese, not egg whites and processed low-fat "cheese product". Seriously, "processed cheese product" is supposed to be health food?

I don't explicitly identify myself as paleo with my family (though they eat paleo food whenever I'm cooking). I have, however, convinced her that egg whites are pointless, and that protein is important, so I'm making progress! (any direction away from " low-fat carbs and 'healthy' whole grains" is a good step). I'll save my anti-Weight Watchers rant for later; for now, I'll give you a photo and a recipe for mini-frittatas.

obviously my food photography skills need work!

Recipe:
preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Ingredients=
-8 large eggs
-1/2 cup water (or cream, if you prefer)
-1 red bell pepper, chopped
-1.5 cups spinach, roughly chopped
-1 container mushrooms, diced
-1/2 onion, chopped
-1/2 cup cheese of your choosing, shredded (omit if you don't eat cheese!)
-pinch of pepper and salt.
-butter or oil for greasing the muffin tins
- add chopped bacon if you have it!  (nom nom)

I mixed the eggs and water, then sauteed the mushrooms, onions, and pepper in a pan with Kerrygold butter; I just like my and mushrooms a little browned. Then I mixed everything in with the eggs, and poured it into the greased muffin tins.

Make sure that you grease the muffin tins well, otherwise the egg will stick, and you'll end up with broken bits of cooked egg instead of muffin shapes! I used a non-stick pan, and still had issues getting them out--needed to butter the pans better!

Bake at 350 F for 18-22 mins, until just set; cool for 5 minutes, then loosen sides with a rubber spatula or knife and slide them out of the tin.

Eat and be merry!

No comments:

Post a Comment